Having a gift card is one thing; knowing how to use it is another. The American Express gift card is one of the best gift cards for online purchases. Let’s show you how to use it.
AMEX gift cards are flexible and convenient, but if you don’t know how to use them to shop online, you may miss out on enjoyable shopping experiences. Knowing how to use your AMEX gift card to purchase online will save you time and energy running to a physical store.
That is why today’s blog is focused on showing you exactly how to use an American Express gift card to make online purchases.
Overview of American Express Gift Cards
So what is an AMEX gift card? What does it do?
An American Express gift card is an open-loop gift card issued by American Express. This means it’s not tied to any specific merchant and can be used to buy goods in many different stores. Note that they are different from AMEX debit or credit cards. AMEX gift cards come in denominations ranging from $25 to $3000. They can be in physical or digital gift card format. If you buy the digital format, you’ll receive it via email.
American Express gift cards have several advantages, some of which are
- Many merchants and brands accept them. You can use them for online shopping in different stores and platforms.
- They do not expire, so you can use them whenever you want.
- You do not need to pay any fees to use them.
Activating Your American Express Gift Card
To use your AMEX gift card, you will need to activate it first. It’s a way to inform the issuer (The AMEX brand) that you or whoever owns the card wants to start using the money pre-loaded in it.
You can activate your AMEX gift card through the website or by calling the toll-free number on the back of the card. If your card is digital, the number will be in your email.
Follow these steps to activate your gift card through the website.
- Visit the American Express Gift card website on your browser.
- Fill out the required fields with your gift card information, such as the 15-digit number of your card, the 4-digit code and the expiration date.
- Click on sign-in to activate.
To activate via call, dial the toll-free number on the back of your card. It’ll either start with 1-800 or 1-888. Follow the voice prompts and enter the requested information when the automated voice asks you to do so.
Making Online Purchases With Your American Express Gift Card
Now that your AMEX gift card is activated, you can shop online. Here’s how to use it.
- Select the items you want to buy from your preferred merchants, provided they accept AMEX cards. Add the desired items to your cart.
- Proceed to the checkout page and select gift cards as the payment method.
- Input your American Express gift card details, including the card number and security code.
- Confirm the payment and complete the transaction.
Tips For Using American Express Gift Card
You can check your AMEX gift card balance by visiting the portal and entering your card number, expiration date, and 4-digit security code.
There are no restrictions associated with AMEX gift cards except that you cannot transfer funds from an eCard to a physical card. You also cannot reload the card.
If you have enquiries or need assistance, contact American Express customer support.
Safety Measures and Precautions
- Keep your gift card information private. Do not share with anyone.
- Write your card number, expiration date and security code in a safe place if you lose it.
- Ensure you enter your card details on authentic sites only.
FAQs About Using an American Express Gift Card
Can you use American Express gift cards for online shopping?
A: You can shop for items on several platforms, provided they accept AMEX cards for payment. All you have to do is add items to your cart, proceed to checkout, and choose gift cards as your payment method. Then input the details of your card to pay.
What online stores accept AMEX gift cards for payment?
A: Huge department stores such as Target, Amazon and Walmart accept AMEX gift cards. Other stores include Macy’s, Nordstrom, Starbucks, McDonald’s, Etsy, Bloomingdale, and eBay.
How do you activate your American Express gift card?
A: Visit the AMEX website and enter your card details, including card number, security code and expiration date. Click on confirm, and your card will be activated.
American Express gift cards are one of the most versatile because they are accepted by many merchants and stores online and offline. To use your card for online shopping, you must activate it first. Then, you can enjoy a smooth shopping experience afterwards.
Instead of looking for specific merchant-issued gift cards, use AMEX for its versatility and convenience. Remember to stay cautious when purchasing items online. Ensure that the website is authentic to avoid phishing scams.